Monday, September 7, 2015

Fortune Tellers

Fortune tellers, cootie catchers, whatever you call them.  They are easy to fold, fun to play, and endlessly adaptable to teaching.  When I taught ESL, I used them for working on future tense.  Writing and reading "You are going to win four dollars," or "You are going to have seventeen children," was a fun way for kids to practice that skill.

I recently saw this pin about using them in a library.  SO MUCH FUN.  I had to whip up a couple for my classroom.  The next time a kid doesn't know what to read, they are going to let fate guide them.


Here they are in all their glory.  I made them on a picnic table at the playground while my kid was riding his bike at the skate park.  #winwin





In case you can't read them, the revealed options are:

  • a book with a yellow cover
  • a book by an author who has the same last initial as you
  • a book your classmate recommends
  • a book off the bottom shelf
  • a book by an author you've liked before (see how I don't even tell them whether they have to choose a new book or can make it a re-read?)
  • a book with a blue cover
  • a book with an animal on the front
  • a book from the 921 section (biography)
  • a book with pictures inside
  • a book with no picture on the cover
  • a book with 2 or more authors/editors
  • a book from the 800s section
  • a book set in another country
  • a book with two people on the cover
  • a book with an Oregon connection
  • the first book in a series

I bet you all want one now.  Maybe I should open an Etsy shop.  Kidding.


4 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a fun idea!! I'm going to link up to this in my Sunday Post!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! This comment showed up twice for some reason, so I figured I'd delete one - now it just looks like I said something horrible I wanted to take back! :-)

      Delete
  3. I love this idea too. We can all use them when we don't know what to read next!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!