Thursday, September 17, 2015

CYBILS

Guess what?

Chicken butt!

No, just kidding.  It's just a reflex, kind of like when a student asks if they can go to the bathroom, and I say, "Well, I would think that by now you've figured that process out," or some such nonsense even though of COURSE I know what they mean, and more to the point, I do not give a rat's ass if they use "can" instead of "may" in this situation.  I just can't help myself.

Let's try this again--my heightened level of giddiness is because I applied to be a judge for the Children and Young Adult Bloggers Literary awards.  aka CYBILS, although I have no idea why it's not CYABLS, other than that it's easier to say.  I did not expect to hear back from them, because I think it's kind of a big deal? and I've only been blogging since June?  But you miss all the shots you don't take, blah blah blah, so I went ahead and applied just to see what would happen.

And I was accepted, as a round 2 judge, no less, which means I won't have to read as many books, and they will all be reasonably good.  Of course, it also means I have to help make the tough decisions, but after grading 20 years of papers, I'm totally up for making judgements on other people's best efforts.

I'm in the YA Fiction category, which basically means realistic fiction--speculative (i.e. sci fi and fantasy) and graphic novels are separate.  I've inhaled a 2015 book a day this week, but feel like I can't talk much about them, since if they make it through, I don't want to throw the betting, or whatever it is people do with awards like this.  Not that I do a ton of reviews anyway, so NBD.  My real work doesn't start until January--they haven't even started accepting nominations yet--but I figure it can't hurt to read the books I've been hearing about this year that are in the category.  Either they'll make it through, and I'll have the background reading done, or they won't, and I'll have read a bunch of books, which is pretty much what I do anyway.

On an unrelated note, I am forcing all of my students to a) join Goodreads and b) friend me on the site. (I promise, I won't force them to write awkward and uninspired reviews though.)  It's been pretty entertaining all day hearing kids point out to each other, "Look, it says she's read 1677 books!"  Then they ask me if it's true, and I explain that those are just the books I've logged, but I'm sure there are many more that are lost in the sands of time.  YES YOUR TEACHER IS A FREAK.  But who wants to take reading from someone who's not a reading freak, really?



3 comments:

  1. Congrats! I'll be joining you on the team. Can't wait to get started! ^-^ Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a blast being a judge! I thought about applying but I'm nervous about the deadline. Maybe another year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh congrats on being a judge! :D I hope it's awesome! And goodreads is an excellent life decision, *nods* you are super wise to get your students hooked on it. ;)
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!