Thursday, August 27, 2015

TBT: Reading After Bedtime


If you're reading this blog, you probably love reading.

If you love reading, you probably loved reading when you were a kid.

If you loved reading when you were a kid, you may have snuck-read in bed after lights out.

This post is turning into a Laura Numeroff book.  I'll move it along now.


When I was a kid, I loved reading, and I always sometimes wanted to keep reading after my bedtime.  My bedroom  was at the end of the hall, and if I sort of hung sideways, half off the bed,  I could read by the hallway light.  I spent many a night finishing up a book in this awkward pose.

Leaving the bedroom door open wasn't suspicious, as we had cats.  It's always easier to leave interior doors open than to get up in the night to let cats move around.  If the light got turned off, I'd get up, pretend to use the bathroom, and "accidentally" leave the hall light on when I went back to bed.

If someone came down the hall, I'd slip the book under the covers and pretend to sleep.  My family, however, caught on, and they'd come in and check.  I had to get more and more creative in where I'd stash the book when I heard footsteps.  Under the pillow was a pretty good spot; it took them awhile to figure that one out.

Eventually it became kind of an issue.  This was probably about 4th grade, the same year my teacher had to check me over before class to be sure I wasn't smuggling in books to read while she taught.  I don't remember ever getting in serious trouble, but there was a level of exasperation building, and a few lectures about the importance of sleep.  The whole family was in on the "catch Wendy reading and remove her book" project.

One night, a shadow fell across the doorway, and I looked up to see my sister's boyfriend standing there.  He'd crept down the hallway so quietly I hadn't even had a chance to hide my book.  Caught.  Red-handed.  (Read-handed?  Ouch; sorry.)  I tensed myself for the lecture, or for the announcement to my family.  Instead, he just grinned at me and shook his head, then walked quietly back down the hall.  I don't remember now whether I put the book away or kept reading, but I do remember how grateful I was to him for not telling on me.

He's still my favorite brother-in-law.

What about you?  Any late-night reading escapades?




1 comment:

  1. This made me smile. I now have to stop my OWN kids from reading till all hours of the night - and, yeah, sometimes I catch them reading VERY late. It's hard to be too mad when I stay up until all hours to finish a book, though. :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!