Sunday, August 2, 2015

Reading Habits Book Tag

Lists and surveys are so much fun!  Here's one I found on Dreamland Book Blog.  I'm going to stop apologizing for the lack of anyone actually tagging me, okay?  And everyone is always invited to be tagged if they like one of these surveys.

1. Do you have a certain place at home for reading?
I have several places. On the couch, in the leather recliner in my bedroom (good for hiding out from others), on the rocking chair or chaise lounge in the backyard when the weather is not too hot and not too cold. Probably my favorite is in an easy chair that's by a window. It's the same basic shape as the chair in my blog photo, and I move back and forth between sitting "normally" and draping my legs over one side while my back is propped up on the other.
2. Bookmark or random piece of paper?
I usually don't use anything, because I read fast enough that I'm only having to find my place a couple of times. This summer, slogging through the Song of Fire and Ice series, I've used a woven bookmark most of the time. I like it better than stiff, cardboard ones, because I can tuck it into the book and keep reading without it feeling weird in my hands.
3. Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop after a chapter/ a certain amount of pages?
I prefer to stop after I finish the book!  Or at the end of a chapter.  
4. Do you eat or drink while reading?
Of course!  Sometimes I eat or drink while reading, and sometimes I read while eating or drinking.  The most common is to have some coffee and maybe a cookie (or ten) while I read.
5. Multitasking: Music or TV while reading?
Nope.  Sometimes I start out with music, but I either end up ignoring it or turning it off.  
6. One book at a time or several at once?
Several at once, although I am usually more focused on one than the others.
7. Reading at home or everywhere?
Read EVERYWHERE.  Whenever I forget to bring a book along, I regret it.  
8. Reading out lout or silently in your head?
Silently.  Unless it's a foreign language.  Wait, that sounded pretentious--let me clarify that I'm referring to a once-a-year letter from an old friend in Latvia.  
9. Do you read ahead or even skip pages?
I don't read ahead, but I sometimes skim through less interesting passages.  Also, when I thought a character had died in Clash of Kings, I flipped through the book to see if his name was on any chapter headings.  I hate spoilers though, so I would never read the ending, and I hate it if I glimpse something on the next page that lets me know where the current crisis is headed.
10. Breaking the spine or keeping it like new?
I don't obsess about it either way.  I do like to keep books in decent shape, but I don't expect them to look un-read.

11. Do you write in your books?
No.  I take notes on a piece of paper.  For my classroom books, I do write my last name along the top spine.

Those are my responses--what are YOUR reading habits? Let me know if you write about these questions too!

4 comments:

  1. I have to cover the end of a chapter with my hand if it is on the facing page so my eyes don't skip ahead and spoil it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That's great. I've done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It drives me nuts not to finish a chapter before stopping. I'm awful about just dog earing pages. I always lose bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I flip my books upside down, open to the right page, if I'm just going to be gone for a quick break. We are such rebels!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!