Saturday, August 1, 2015

Mini Reviews: Yes, Please!, There is No Dog, Me Before You

For Mini Reviews, I copy my reviews from Goodreads.  Unlike my blog reviews, when I write a review on Goodreads, I'm not interested in summarizing the book, but just jotting down notes for myself about my personal reaction.

Yes, Please! by Amy Poehler.  Autobiography, 392 pages.  2 stars.

I'm not sure about celebrity bios/self-help books. It can be fun to hear the behind the scenes stuff, but I'm not enough of a pop culture junkie to get half of it. I still think she'd be awesome, if slightly intimidating, in person, but the book wasn't all that great. Nor was it terrible.

There Is No Dog by Meg Rosoff.  New Adult fantasy, 256 pages.  4 stars.

The spirit of this reminds me very much of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe. Maybe that's why I'm not convinced it's YA, though of course it could be read by young adults.






Me Before You by JoJo Moyes.   Realistic Fiction, 369 pages.  4 stars.

I had no idea what I was in for. I'd seen the author's latest book on several lists, so I looked for it at the library, noticed an older book and decided to try it first. Started reading and was all "la-la-la, this is pretty interesting and entertaining if slightly predictable..." Then we hit a scene near the end and I started crying. Not sniffling, not tearing up, but crying so hard I had to put the book down and finish sobbing before I could go on. Then I immediately started crying again. The last time I remember a book doing that to me was The Brothers K, which I read in the mid 90s. Something about it unleashed a bunch of stuff from my own life. If you have different stuff, you may not be ask moved. Hard to say.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Hitchhiker's Guide - I need to check out There is No Dog!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!