Monday, July 27, 2015

Seven Deadly Sins Tag

Tagging myself again.  Since we can all play games against ourselves on computers these days, why not play tag alone too?  I found this fun one here.

1. Greed~ What is your most inexpensive book? What is your most expensive book?
Just spent a buck at the library book sale for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.  Hard to beat.

The most expensive book purchase I remember is when we were considering building a home, and I was absolutely in love with A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction by Christopher Alexander.  It costs $65 new, for this dense, tiny-print hardback with terrible black and white pictures.  I found it at Powell’s, used, for $43, which still seemed like a lot of money.  Will I ever build my own home?  Who knows.  But I love the book, and love owning it.  

2. Wrath~ What author do you have a love/hate relationship with?
Currently that would be Maggie Stiefvater.  I’ve read one book that bored me, one book that floored me, and one that bemused me.  (Sorry, I couldn't come up with an appropriate final rhyme.)

3. Gluttony~ What book have you devoured over and over again with no shame?
I re-read constantly as a child, but hardly ever as an adult (except for books I teach in my classes).  I am, however, up to X in the Kinsey Milhone series by Sue Grafton.  They are kind of the same book over and over, yet I keep on reading.  It’s the mac & cheese of mystery writing.

4. Sloth~ What book have you neglected reading due to laziness?
So many.  Besides the ones I’m allegedly reading right now, I’ll add A Long Walk to Water, which 7th graders at my school read in social studies.   I’ve been meaning to read it for at least four years now.

5. Pride~ What book do you talk about most in order to sound like an intellectual reader?
War and Peace is probably the one I’m most smug about, purely because of it’s length and Russian-ness.  I read it in college, as part of a Russian lit class (in translation!).  Our professor said he was having us read it instead of Anna Karenina because he was tired of teaching a book where the woman throws herself in front of a train but her lover just gets a toothache.  We had to read the assigned section each week, then summarize it in 15 words or less, which really gets you to focus on the most important details.  We also responded in rambling, handwritten journals.  God, I loved that class.  When we read A Hero of Our Times, the assignment was to respond to it in any way BUT an essay.  I made collages.  I remember classmates staging a duel with rubber bands, and acting out a scene with puppets.  




6. Lust~ What attributes do you find attractive in male characters?
First, this is kind of a problematic question.  What about straight male bloggers and gay female bloggers?  Etc.  But being plain ol’ vanilla myself, I will answer it as given.  

A sense of humor, intelligence,  and being tall-dark-and-handsome are always a good place to start, but just as in real life, they need to bring more to the table to really wow me.  Courage, meaning doing what’s right despite being afraid.  Respect of their female counterpart--from Gilbert Blythe to Gabriel Oak , I like a man who truly likes his woman as a whole person.  Kindness, not broodiness, which is why I am team Peeta, not team Gale.  I'm a sucker for a family man too. Sam Vimes became my favorite character in Discworld when he insisted on reading his son that silly book every night.  

Mmmm, I seem to be describing my husband as well.  ;)

7. Envy~ What book would you most like to receive as a gift?


A complete hardbound set of Harry Potter.  For me.  Not for my children, not for my students.  For me.



Judging by this photo, it's high time I see the movie adaptation of Far From the Madding Crowd.
RIP.  He'll always be the face of Gilbert to me.

Not so sure he's the face of Peeta, but he's a cute kid.

This one's actually age-appropriate.  


2 comments:

  1. Gilbert Blythe has been a book boyfriend of mine since I was 9. He's damn near perfect.
    Love the tag! I think I'll try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do! I am enjoying exploring these tags. Very fun.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!