Sunday, July 19, 2015

On Book Reviews In General

I've spent a lot of time this summer reading other reading blogs.

It's really fun.  It also give me lots of ideas for this blog, both what I want to do with it, and what I don't.

(It's also one of several reasons why my children get too much screen time, and my house is a mess.)

Most (all?) book blogs include reviews.  As I scroll through them, I realized something about myself.  I only like to read reviews of books I've already read, movies I've already seen, etc.  My favorite way to go into a book is completely blind.  I can do this if the author is one I love, or if someone I trust recommends a book.  Otherwise, I'll read just enough of the blurb to get a sense of the type of story inside, and then I'll give it a try.  The less I know going in, the better.

After I've read, though, I want to find out what others thought.  It's not just with books--after we watch a DVD, my husband will see me on the computer and ask, "How are the reviews?" because he knows that's the first thing I check after a movie.   It's interesting to see if others noticed what I did, or if they have a perspective that challenges mine.

Yet most book reviews I've seen on blogs start with a complete summary, and then add the blogger's reactions.  Even their personal responses often reveal more than I'd want to know up front.  My reviews, on the other hand, tend to assume the readers has already read the book, so I'm just sharing my thoughts about it.

So, if you're one of the three people reading this, that's what you can expect to find in my reviews.  Keep on writing your reviews your way, of course.  They are still useful to me, just not in the way you may have planned.

When I'm browsing through a new book blog, I read their reviews for books I've read.  This gives me an overall impression of how well our tastes match up.  If we seem to be in sync, then I look for other books that the reviewer likes, and add them to my "to-read" list without reading the review.  Once I read the book, I'll read the review too.

If you too like to find out how compatible your tastes are with a reviewer's tastes, you can find a list of my favorite books in my favorite genres here.  I'd love to know which ones you're read and enjoyed!


3 comments:

  1. This is interesting! I'll actually read reviews of books I haven't read, but I don't read summaries of them. Food for thought--thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not the only one who prefers to only read reviews of books you've already read. I definitely get it. I like to read all sorts of reviews, but I can see how sometimes you might end up spoiled - especially if you're the type of person who hates ANY type of spoilers.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my sisters and I always complain about people who try to tell us something that happens in a book or movie, saying, "It's okay, it's not an important part!" Well, if it made enough of an impact on you that you want to share it, then I want to come to it fresh.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!