Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Bottom Ten: Things That Bug Me.

I'm not going to talk about the terrible things in life--injustice, cruelty, famine, heartbreak.  I'm also going to try to stay clear of the generic pet peeves and annoyance we all share--a mosquito bite between your toes, an overflowing toilet.  But here are a few of my gripes that may reveal something about me.

1.  Fruit flies in my wine.  My husband is a winemaker, and when we have grapes fermenting in the garage, this becomes a serious issue.

2.  Use of umbrellas in any situation other than standing and waiting in pouring rain.    I'm an Oregonian.

3.  Library books that smell like cigarettes.  This doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to, but every once in a while, it still does.

4.  Kids who say, "What?!? I wasn't talking!" when you tell them to be quiet in class.  Middle school.  Pfffft.

5.  Books based on movies or TV shows.  I'm kind of a snob.  Also, my daughter has learned to say, "I'm going to look at it myself, Mommy, you don't have to read it with me!" whenever she takes a Barbie or My Little Pony book off the shelf at the library.  (I have no cute links for this.  It's too annoying.)

6.  Raisins in cookies.  Also Fig Newtons and carrot cake.  What were people thinking?

7.  My inability to find Dumle candies in the U.S.  I can get Marabou chocolate and Daim bars at Ikea, but have yet to track down Dumle in the area.  Sigh.

8.  Apostrophes to make words plural, and the incorrect use of "literally."  I know, I know, it's such a cliche to be the English teacher grammar police, but come on, people, how hard is it?  (I am, on the other hand, a total fan of the Oxford comma, and of using "their" in place if "his or her" even though I'm just talking about one person.)

9.  Teeny tiny writing on medicine bottles.  Just about the time you start needing a bunch of pills, your eyes start to go.  I had to buy reading glasses just because of this issue.   LITERALLY.

10.  Mac charger cords.  Our school bought Macbook Airs for the teachers to use, which is terrific.  But when my charger died after eight months of use, I was informed that it is my responsibility to replace it.  For $82.  At first I was mad at the district, but after doing some research, I'm even more angry with Apple for making crappy cords in the first place.



6 comments:

  1. Oh, I agree with you about people using apostrophes to make words plural--that's one of my biggest grammar pet peeves. That, and people who refuse to acknowledge the usefulness of the Oxford comma, haha. I'm also with you on the Mac charger cords...so much frustration there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a sign on the way to my sister house advertising "Bunny's for sale." I always wonder--bunny's what?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree on the cigarette smell (or other smells....or strange stains) in library books. My town is dirt poor, and more often than not the books smell.
    Yes to raisins in cookies, too! It doesn't bother me anymore since I no longer eat processed sugar, but before then? Major pet peeve. Especially when they're sitting next to chocolate chip cookies, and I'd grab the wrong one by mistake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good for you for getting off of processed sugar. I know it's bad for me, but it makes me happy...

      Delete
  4. Ha! The apostrophe thing makes me crazy too - though I actually prefer to do away with the Oxford comma. :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!